Imagine… an outstanding, adventure filled vacation with an incomparable home as your base of operations!
Winter adventures at some of the Northeast’s best ski areas, hundreds of miles of snowmobile trails, serene cross-country options, and much more.
Some terrific options include:
- Bicycling – A best-in-New England century loop over height-of-land to Rangeley, through remote wilderness to Errol NH, back through Grafton Notch
- On the water: We’re in the heart of the Rangeley Lakes region with great access to Richardson, Mooselookmeguntic, Rangeley, and Umbegog lakes, as well as the miriad rivers and streams - Rapid, Magalloway, Kennebago, and Androscoggin rivers
- Fishing – World class trout and salmon fishing at Upper Dam, Middle Dam, Pond in River, Lower Dam, on the Rapid, Kennebago, Magalloway and Androscoggin and on little known high-altitude ponds, with guide services and float-plane flights to remote and private waters available
- Canoeing, Kayaking, White-Water Rafting – Enjoy a long day drifting on the Androscoggin with boat rental options and drop-off & pickup services, or white-water rafting trips on the Rapid, sight-seeing boat trips on Umbagog; fantastic local swimming holes in private, sandy-beach serene, and mountain adventurous settings (ask about Koos Canyon or the Upton Notch Cataracts trail)
- Look into fly-out fishing and sight-seeing in float-planes at Acadian Seaplanes! Keith will pick you up at the South Arm boat launch up the road from Merrill House.
- Hiking – On the Appalachian Trail at the beginning of the 100-mile wilderness, or many other options, novice to technical
- White Cap hiking trail (blueberry hike)
- Cataracts Trail / Bald Pate
- Elephant Mountain
- Tumbledown Mountain (technical options)
- Old Speck / Table Rock hike
- Alpine Skiing – Sunday River, Saddleback, Black Mountain, Mt. Abram
- Nordic Skiing – On Merrill House grounds with access to groomed trails, Bethel Nordic, Carter’s XC
- Snowmobiling – Direct access to 350+ miles of managed snow machine trails from the Merrill House front yard
- Golfing – Sunday River, Mingo Springs, Bethel Inn, Oakdale golf courses
See more details and links to locations and adventure options on our Attractions page.
Experience…a Merrill House Adventure Vacation!
An easy escape from the city, Merrill House is just 3 hours from Boston or Montreal with plentiful, year-round outdoor activities. Visitors can hike, bike, ride or connect to nearby Bethel Recreation Area or the Sunday River golf/ski resort. Practice fly casting in our trout pond, then spend the afternoon boating on the lakes or angling wild streams taking in some the best fly fishing in Maine. Enjoy action packed days and star-filled nights in this outdoor paradise. Return following your adventure day to the Great Hall and a prepared feast to rest and get ready for the next adventure! Get away while coming home to Merrill House where your next memorable adventure vacation starts!